North County San Diego has experienced a real estate boom over the last few years. People are flocking to these areas due to their school systems, the suburban environments they've created, and proximity to incredible beaches. With Camp Pendleton bordering northern San Diego, it's a great area for military families to settle down. Learn a little more about the area with these handy facts.
North San Diego Real Estate Information
San Diego real estate trends show a $30,000 dollar increase in median price over the past year, up 6%. San Diego homes are in demand as the city of San Diego is the fastest growing area in the county, up $35,000 from 2014 to 2015 alone -- and it isn't likely to stop.
With great school districts and easy access to other areas of San Diego, North County has slightly higher real estate prices than most areas in the nation. While some areas are more accessible, like Oceanside and Vista, some areas, like Del Mar and Rancho Bernado can reach well into the million-dollar market.
Northern San Diego School System Highlights
While downtown San Diego may be dense and a little crowded, the northern San Diego area offers suburban communities that appeal to students and families.
Like the San Marcos school community. The high school students in this system are clearly excelling, recently being recognized by the College Board for:
- 29 AP Scholars
- 5 National Hispanic Scholars
- 1 National Merit Scholar
Or check out the ratings of the Poway Unified School District. With an entire district rated 10 out of 10 based on test scores, students from elementary to high school can experience a great education. With California's open enrollment policies, this quality education is also open to a wide range of students too.
And don't forget the University of California, San Diego. Rated the 15th best university in the world for research and global reputation, this higher learning center is part of the larger University of California network in addition to offering multiple programs that positively affect the local community. While not specifically located in North County, it's only a small commute from North County to La Jolla.
Unique Neighborhoods of Northern San Diego
North San Diego offers the perfect mix between upscale Orange County and the laid back seaside. With proximity to world-class beaches like Del Mar and Moonlight State Beach, the area offers a little something for everyone. Take your family for a bike ride to the pier or ride the incoming surf for a little adventure.
Some specific neighborhood highlights include:
- Rancho Bernardo: A planned community in the northern hills, this neighborhood is about 20 miles north of downtown. In addition to rugged hills and winding roads, this area is also home to tech giants like Sony, Microsoft, and Northrop Grumman.
- Rancho Penasquitos: Located northeast of downtown San Diego, Penasquitos "little cliffs" in Spanish. The area is known for outdoors and adventure as it abuts the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve.
- Sorrento Valley: A smaller northern neighborhood near the Interstate 5, Sorrento Valley is called home by around 5,000 residents. This upscale community also hosts many biotech businesses, such as Qualcomm, Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, and Optimer Pharmaceuticals.
- Del Mar: Located just a couple miles north of Solana Beach, Del Mar is home to the famous Del Mar Horse Races every summer.
When searching for a home for sale in the northern San Diego area, it's important to consult an expert in the local real estate market. If you'd like more information about the North County San Diego real estate market, let us know! We're happy to help you with any questions you may have.