Upgrading Lighting And Other Fixes To Increase Your Home’s Value
Many people spend so much on floors, countertops, paint or wallpaper to give their home that unique look and value. However, they tend to overlook one of the most important investment that provides a home with a significant upgrade: lighting. Any house can look dull, dreary and uninteresting without proper lighting.
Here are some advantages of upgrading your house’s lighting to increase its value.
Lights Create Elegance
Upgrading your lighting can create an elegant feel within your home. How can you achieve this though? Here’s some tips to help you get started:
- To add elegance into a room, replace dull light bulbs with a unique chandelier. With a wide variety and designs, you can choose one that fits your budget and your style. It’ll surely add beauty to any room. A chandelier is not only for living rooms. You may put them in the dining room, over a staircase, entertainment room and even in the bathroom as long as it’s waterproof.
- Choose styles that feature white or black colors to them as this will give the effect of luxury and cleanliness within your home.
- Choose styles with clean lines or that feature unique designs. Something with crystals on it can help to not only capture the light in many ways but can also give that wow factor.
There’s many options for more elegant lighting other than the usual fluorescent lamps. You can talk to an interior decorator for a more professional approach on which lights or designs to choose. Attendants in lighting stores may also be able to provide valuable suggestions for free. Brochures and catalogs can also help you visualize which lights will fit your room.
Proper lighting can enhance the color of the walls or your furniture. Some colors are meant to be bright, and some need enough light to come out. Even if you spend so much time in choosing your paint color or the accessories that go into your home, they’ll never be able to show its full potential if there’s not enough light in the room. Here’s some ways you can enhance color when using lights:
- Position the lights in an area where it can illuminate your furniture the best. Pendant lights or wall lights are great options as this can help spread the light across specific areas of your room.
- Choose lights which have the best illumination potential. For example ceiling fan lights might not be as good as chandeliers as the light they cast across the room may be weaker.
This works best with your general lighting and overall illumination for accent lighting.
Set the Mood
Using the right light can make a small size room look bigger and makes a big size room feel warmer. When big and high wattage light bulbs are used in a small room, it creates an illusion that the room is bigger and more spacious. Here’s some tips to set the mood:
- If you have a big empty room and you want to make it more homey and warm, use dim and soft yellow lights.
- If you want to create a vibrant atmosphere, use bright white lights.
- If you want to create a fun atmosphere, don’t be afraid to use a colored light.
Lights create the mood in any room. Lights can affect your productivity and the way you function. You can consider upgrade options for home office lighting to give you space where you can work more comfortably.
Lower Your Electric Bills
You may ask, how can I lower the electric bill? These days, led lights are becoming the best options for lighting because of its versatility, and it saves more energy than conventional light bulbs. Led bulbs come in so many designs. They can be in strips, bulbs, tape, and tubes. They’re easy to install and sometimes only need adhesive. They can fit in small spaces or in any nook and cranny. They work best on ceiling or kitchen cupboard edges to give them elegance and a lot of character to your home. Other ways you can save money include:
- You may also consider installing solar panels to reduce your electric bill drastically.
- Another way is to use natural light. If you’re going to do renovations, try looking into the possibility of using tubular skylights or sun tubes. This can make dark hallways and rooms brighter to make your home look airy and open.
- Opt for energy efficient lighting with good ratings.
- Avoid keeping the lights on when you’re not in the room or when there’s no need to use them.
This can help you save money long term.
Enhance Room Functionality
Kitchens are usually the area in the house where families meet first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Your kitchen may have expensive countertops, cabinets, and a beautiful floor but if lighting is not done correctly, it will not function as it should. Whether it’s your kitchen or some other room there’s a few things to consider when choosing lighting for different rooms:
- For kitchens work on lighting options which offer bright lights and ones that are easy to clean. Stainless steel is often a good choice.
- For bedrooms use neutral colored lighting that offers a soft dim light to help promote relaxation.
- For bathrooms make sure you use waterproof lighting to reduce the risk of electrocution.
- For living spaces, mix and match bright and dim lighting depending on which location to help illuminate key areas. Chandeliers are great for hallways while downlights may be a great option for lounge rooms.
Owning a house doesn’t only provide shelter or a place to sleep and rest, but it’s also a window of the family or a person’s personality. It’s a significant source of wealth when put up for sale. You’ll only want the best value for your property so when you invest in renovations, never take lighting for granted for it’s the way to let the house’s real character shine.